- 1 (3 1/2 - 3 3/4 pounds) chicken, whole
- 1 sage sprig, fresh
- 1 thyme sprig, fresh
- 1 rosemary sprig, fresh
- 3 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, fresh ground
- 2 1/2 cups Minute Maid® Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1/8 cup carrots, diced
- 1/8 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine or water
- 1 cup Chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup pearl onions, trimmed, par-cooked
- 1/2 cup carrot, trimmed, 1/2" bias, par-cooked
- 1/2 cup parsnip, trimmed, 1/2" bias, par-cooked
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets, trimmed, par-cooked
- Season chicken cavity with 2 teaspoons and pepper. Place fresh herbs and garlic inside cavity. Inject 1/2 cup orange juice into chicken meat; pour 1/2 cup orange juice into cavity and truss, if desired. Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and pour 1 cup of orange juice over top of chicken. Seal bag, refrigerate, and marinate at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove chicken from bag and drain juice back into bag. Place chicken into roasting pan. Reserve marinade for sauce. Roast chicken for 30 minutes, while basting occasionally with pan drippings. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F, and continue roasting and basting to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 30-45 minutes longer. Remove chicken to a serving platter and hold warm while making the sauce.
- Place roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add diced onions, carrots, and celery and cook until the vegetables begin to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Skim any excess fat. Add the white wine (or water), chicken broth, reserved orange juice marinade and 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Simmer mixture while gently scraping the drippings from the bottom of the pan. Cook until sauce begins to thicken and is reduced to 1/3 of its original volume (about 1 cup), about 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Strain sauce and keep warm.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of orange juice and remaining sugar in a large non-stick skillet and bring to a simmer. Whisk in olive oil. Add the pearl onions, sliced carrots and parsnips and simmer covered until vegetables are cooked, but still slightly firm, about 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, allowing the liquid to reduce to a glaze. Add the broccoli and toss together to coat with glaze. Adjust seasoning with salt to taste.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the orange sauce and orange glazed mixed vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis per 20 oz. serving: 660 calories, 30 g total fat, 8 g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 165 mg cholesterol, 55 g protein, 37 g total carbohydrate (22 g sugars), 3 g dietary fiber, 1480 mg sodium.
Vitamin A: 90% DV, Calcium: 8% DV, vitamin C: 110% DV, Iron: 20% DV