Fruit Compote Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups Minute Maid® 100% Apple Juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 apple, small, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes or sliced to 16 wedges
- 1 pear, small, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes or sliced to 8 wedges
- 1 cup mixed berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or hulled, quartered strawberries
Pancake Batter Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Minute Maid® 100% Apple Juice
- 1/3 cup stone-ground whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, low-fat
- 1 egg, extra-large
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt (optional)
- As needed, fat-free non-stick cooking spray
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat combine juice and sugar for the fruit compote and reduce to 3/4 cup. Add apples and pears and simmer until fruit is tender, about 4 - 10 minutes (time will vary depending on the size of cut). Remove from heat, add mixed berries and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Sift together dry ingredients for the pancake batter. In a separate bowl, blend buttermilk, apple juice, egg and melted butter. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir by hand just until batter is evenly moistened.
- Heat a large non-sick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Drop pancake batter by 1/4 cup portions onto prepared pan. Spread batter as needed. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface and edges are set, about 2-4 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook second side, 2-4 minutes. Hold warm while cooking remaining pancakes, spraying pan or griddle with non-stick spray as needed.
- Serve pancakes with fruit compote, syrup and vanilla low-fat yogurt, if desired.
Makes 4 servings -- 8 (5-inch) pancakes and 2 cups compote.
Nutritional Analysis per serving (2 pancakes): 200 calories, 5 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 90 mg cholesterol, 7 g protein, 29 g total carbohydrate (6 g sugars), 2 g dietary fiber, 460 mg sodium.
Vitamin A: 4% DV, Calcium: 10% DV, Iron: 10% DV
Apple-Berry Compote: Per 1 oz/2 tbsp serving: 20 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g protein, 5 g total carbohydrate (4 g sugars), 0 g dietary fiber, 0 mg sodium.
vitamin C: 2%DV